Saturday 17 July 2010

My days in hostel

Hello readers.

I don't know how many of you'll have stayed in hostel. For all who haven't stayed in hostel, I think I should share my experience.

I had selected Engineering in Bangalore's GSSIT. So I'd to leave my hometown. Our tenant in Karwar, Govind was studying in the same college. So he had booked a room for me in the same hostel.
It was Sept 11 2006, when the classes began. But I first went to hostel on 12th, a day later. Its not exactly a hostel. It’s a PG. Only accommodation. No food facilities. Had to go out to hotel for food.
I met the PG owner Mr.Kabaadi. Full Name. Mr P.G.Kabaadi. Verry funny, His initials are P.G. and he owns PG. Govind came and told us that he had a room for me. I was happy. He took us to a room. It was a 2-bed room.
Readers, what are the minimum requirements to call an area as a room???
Yes it should be spacious.
But something that’s not spacious can also be called as a room.
Yes a room should have 4-strong walls with a window and a door.

But that room neither had 4 walls nor a window. And the door, a sliding door. Actually for the first time I mistook it as a window. It had only 1 stong wall rest of the walls were made if aluminium and light-weighed ply-wood.( I hope you’ll can imagine it). It was dark inside. Kabaadi came to us, switched on the light and said, Its-a-beautiful-spacious-room. The room was neither beautiful nor spacious. It was not a room also.;-). And more over all kabaadi told that Govind would be my room mate. This was what I didn’t want. I didn’t want our tenant to be my room mate. Anyway I got a reason to reject the room.
Then the warden-cum-watchman, Ram Singh, a nepali, took me to another building. It was a 3-bed-room. It was a decent room. 4-strong walls, a big cupboard, 2 windows and a strong wooden door. I selected that room. A cot was empty and I kept my bag on it. Ram Singh told that my room mates were from RVCE. They weren’t in room. So I locked the room and went out.
It was nearly 7.30pm when I entered the room. A boy was sleeping on one of those cots. I took his book which was kept on his table to know his name. His name was Milind. I thought of waking him and introduce myself to him so that he doesn’t think that some thief has entered the room.
Me: Milind… Milind…
He doesn’t react.
Me: (again) Milind…. (slowly I went close to him, kept hand on his shoulder) milind………
Milind: ummmm?????
Me: Hi, I’m Vishal. Your new room mate.
Milind: What should I do???
I was shocked. Didn’t expect that reply from him.
Sat in my bed. After a while, Milind woke up. He apologized for what he did. Then he told me that his temper would rise if anyone disturbed his sleep. Then came my another room mate, suresh. Suresh and milind were school mates. Both were familiar with hostel life. I spoke to me nicely. I didn’t wanted to spend much time with them, 1st day itself.

Well that was a memorable day. Even after 4 years I remember everything clearly.
Will post some more sweet memories some day. Till then have a great day. Bye;-)
Vishal

No comments: