Thursday 8 July 2010

When my cell was seized, our principal called me a terrorist.

Hello readers. They say Records are meant to be broken. But we say rules are meant to be broken. We all break some or the other rules. It might be traffic rules, college rules or hostel rules. For breaking the college rules once I was called a terrorist by our principal, Dr. Govindaraju. Ya, I was called a terrorist at college. I was also told that I should be hanged. In this post I’ll tell you’ll the story why I was called a terrorist and why I should be hanged. How did I break the rules? Read it...
I remember it was 8th of November 2008. I was in 5th semester of my engineering. I was giving my D.S.P. lab internals. Actually the internals was conducted a week ago. Since I’d been to my native, I was not able to give the test and the test was rescheduled for me with others who were absent on that day. Our lab-in charge Kesthara ma’am asked us to leave our bag outside the lab. We always keep our bags outside the class. The test began and I got an easy experiment. I finished typing and was about to execute the program, when two peons, Suresh and Chandru entered the lab. They said “checking… checking…”. They had come with Mr. Sharrif our college clerk, and our college physical trainer, whom we call as PT Thaata. They had come for checking of cell phones. And I had cell phone in my bag. They asked us to give our bags and co-operate in checking. I’d no other way; I had to give my bag. And PT Thaata found my cellphone in my bag. He seized it…..
I didn’t understand what to do. Follow PT Thaata or complete my internals. I asked Sunil Sindhey sir, he told to go, but I completed the exam and went out. I didn’t know where to go. I went downstairs, to AC lab. My friends where practicing the experiments there. Abdul told me that even Karthik and Vinutha’s cell phones were seized. Was bit relaxed to know that I’d partners in crime. Also came to know that my phone was taken to the Princy’s chamber. I went there. I got the information from clerk Manjula that all the seized cell phones were on princy’s table and told me to get into the chamber. I entered princy’s chamber for the 1st time and that too for a wrong reason.
I entered. First thing I saw on the table was my nokia6600 handset. Then I saw Karthik, Vinutha standing in front of the principal. Even Soujanya, Menaka and couple of juniors were there. Princy was firing everyone. I’d folded my hands, my head was down, with a sad face. In short I was acting to e innocent. I was not standing with my friends. I was standing separately. Princy looked at me, he didn’t know that I’d gone there for my cell phone.

Princy: Yes? (Politely).

Me: Sir… Sir, My cell phone……

Princy: yes, where’s your cell phone? (Angrily).

I pointed at my cell phone and got back to my innocent look.

Princy: oh, even your phone is seized?

Me: yes sir.

Princy: Ayyogyana tandu (useless fellow in Kannada). Why do you people come to college? Its better if you’ll look after the cattle in some village.

I looked at my friends, Karthik, Vinutha, Menaka and Soujanya wanted to laugh at me. But couldn’t...

Me: sir, I was not using the cell phone sir. It was in my bag.

Princy: I don’t want explanation. And all get out of my chamber, I’m sending these cell phones to the university.

All together: sorry sir……

Princy: there’s no matter of asking sorry. And please get out..

A junior girl started crying.

Princy: yes, you don’t cry. I’m helpless. Please go out and send the clerk.

One by one we slowly went out. And sent Manjula in. She come out after a minute. She started to scare us by saying that our phone will be sent to university. The clerks in GSSIT are good for scaring. They need not say any scary things to scare us. By looking at them itself we’ll get scared….
After 5 mins, PT Thaata got into the chamber. don’t know what he spoke there. As soon as he came out, he stared to note our names and USN. We realized that we were in serious trouble. Again we went to manjula saying that we wanted to meet the princy. She asked princy’s permission and told us to get in. I was pushing karthik to get in first and he was pushing me. Vinutha, menaka and soujanya were standing behind us and they were pushing both of us to get in. So both entered.
This time our phones weren’t on the table. I guessed it was kept in cupboard. I was standing right infront of the princy.

Me: sorry sir. We won’t repeat it again.

Karthik: yes sir we’ll never repeat it. We’re sorry.

Other s also apologized.

Princy: (with a smile on his face) You see, again and again I’m telling you. I can’t help you.

Me: sir.. sorry sirrrrrrrrrrrr………

Princy: Do you have any idea what you have done? You are cheated the university. When the the university says not the bring cell phones to college, why do you bring it? You, know you’ll are terrorists. You’ll are ragging the university and ragging is a non-bailable offense. So you’ll should be hanged. .

We wanted to laugh but couldn’t….

Princy: tomorrow you’ll should come with your parents and you’ll will have to pay the fine. Then the management will decide about you. No go to your classes.

Slowly everyone went.

I was ready to pay the fine the fine but didn’t wanted my parents to know what had happened. So after all went out I again asked the princy,

Me: sir I’m a hostel student. Due to security reasons I can’t keep my cellphone in the hostel. So I’d brought it to the class. I never took it out of my bag.

Princy: look I don’t want any explainations. You are coming with your parents tomorrow.

Me: sir, but how can I? I stay in hostel. My parents stay in our native. 600kms away from here. How can they come here?

Princy: if you want your phone, they have to come here tomorrow.

I cursed myself for speaking to him individually and came out. But we did’t go to class. We were standing outside the office room. Then manjula came to us and said us to write an apology letter. A and karthik wrote it thinking that we were going to get our cellphones. Vinutha, soujanya and menaka also wrote. I think I’d written the biggest apology letter ever. My apology letter was of two and a half pages.;-).
We wanted to give the letter to the princy. So we went to manjula. She said that he is having his lunch. We went again after half an hour, she said that he is having rest. We went for the third time, she said that he’s having fruits.
Then at 3.30pm again we went to her. The princy called us. We gave him our apology letters. He collected all the letters and gave it to manjula. And told her to file it.

Princy: your names are now backlisted. If we send it to the university you’ll wont get your degree certificates.

All together: sorry sir we won’t repeat it again.

Princy: ok, tomorrow come with your parents, pay the fine and take your phones back.

Finally we were going to get our cell phones back.

Me: sir what should I do? How to call my parents?

Even Menaka, Vinutha and Soujanya were with same doubt. Actually Vinutha had planned to say that her dad was out of station.

Princy: you’ll get a letter from your parents.

Me: sir, it will take 2-3days to get the letter. Call I ask my parents to call you?

Princy: No, take your phone after 2-3days. No calling business. We know how tricky you are. You’ll might ask your friends to call saying that its your father….. you do one thing. You tell your father to send a fax.

We agreed and came out of his chamber. So, it was me, menaka, soujanya and vinutha who had to get the fax. Karthik had to call his father. Actually even vinutha had to call but she’d told that her dad has gone to Tumkur.
I came back to our hostel. Decided not to hide anything , so told my parents all that had happened that day. That told that he’ll send a fax. I felt bad because this was the first time I made my parents ask sorry.

Next day soon after theclass I and Karthik went to the officeroom. I asked Madhu(another clerk) whether there was any Fax? He said yes there was one but cannot identify who has sent it. I asked him to show it. There was nothing on the paper. Could see only couple of dotted lines. I juat took it and went to princy’s chamber.
Princy: yes?

Me: sir, I got the fax.

Princy: yes give it.

I gave.

Princy: yenri Idu???(What is this?) There’s nothing on it.
Me: sir my father sent it, but the fax machine in our college has no ink to print the text. This was what I got here. You can ask the clerk sir.

Princy: ok. You pay the fine and take you cell phone.
I came out of his chamber happily.

Meanwhile manjula was speaking in a phone call. Karthik’s friend had called saying that it was his dad. He asked manjula to divert the call to the princy. Manjula asked princy. He told not to divert and to give away the cell phones.
As soon as we got our cell phones , we saw Vinutha coming with her mom. They went to princy’s chamber and brought back the cell. Even soujanya and menaka got their cell phones back saying that the fax machine isn’t working.
Then I called home saying that I got the phone back. Was surprised to hear that my dad had not faxed the letter. Felt happy that I didn’t make my dad write an apology letter.
I never took my cell to college there after.